A Michigan woman visiting St. Louis checked into the Drury Inn near the airport. She went into her hotel bathroom, turned on the bathtub's hot water, then sat down on the commode to "read the newspaper." As she contemplated the day's latest news, the bathtub device that switches the water stream from the tub faucet to the shower head mysteriously activated on its own and sprayed the woman in the face. Startled, she leaped from the commode, then fell and hit her head and neck on the side of the bathtub. Twelve hours after the fall, she went to the doctor. His diagnosis: a mild brain injury and a herniated disk. The woman sued the manufacturer of the diverter, American Standard, claiming the product was faulty. A St. Louis jury agreed and awarded her $4 million.