With skylights and floor-to-ceiling windows, the Saint Louis Art Museum's East Building is an incredible sight on Forest Park's Art Hill — both from the outside and within. Unveiled this summer, the brand-new wing is home to a range of galleries, expanded public amenities and a restaurant overlooking the park. The project increases the museum's public space by 30 percent and adds 21 new galleries in total — providing room for a large collection that has outgrown the Main Building originally built for the 1904 World's Fair. The site comes with additional parking and bigger education facilities, and museum officials say it addresses essential infrastructure deficiencies that have challenged the institution for decades. Even better, the David Chipperfield-designed structure features a polished concrete façade incorporating aggregate from the Missouri River and was awarded LEED status for its environmentally responsible design and construction.
© 2018 Riverfront Times