MUGSHOT VIA SLMPD
Prosecutors have dropped charges against John Wells, the 30-year-old man who was arrested in June and charged in connection with a string of assaults in Tower Grove South.
But a spokeswoman for the office says that prosecutors are not giving up on the case by any means — and she urged anyone who has additional information to come forward.
"This case remains under active investigation," Susan Ryan, a spokeswoman for Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner, says. "We have plans to reissue the charges as soon as possible. If anyone has any information regarding these incidents, we encourage them to contact police or our office."
Wells, who was listed in court records as homeless, had been charged with attempted sodomy, misdemeanor sexual abuse and misdemeanor assault
after a series of incidents
in which women say a stranger grabbed their buttocks or genitals before fleeing to his vehicle.
The incidents for which Wells was initially charged took place on May 25, June 10 and June 16, all within a few blocks of each other in Tower Grove South. Women reported that he'd stuck his hands down their pants or reached up their dresses.
Witnesses had also noted his similarities to the man captured on security cameras in Soulard following women and trying to enter their homes
— although Wells does not appear to have been charged in those incidents.
Those with relevant information may call the Circuit Attorney's Office at (314) 622-4941.
We welcome tips and feedback. Email the author at firstname.lastname@example.org