St. Louis Ex-Con Stabbed During Attempted Rape, Kidnap, Police Say


A man kidnapped and tried to rape a woman in north St. Louis, but she stabbed him and escaped, police say. - IMAGE COURTESY OF MARCO ZAK
  • Image Courtesy of Marco Zak
  • A man kidnapped and tried to rape a woman in north St. Louis, but she stabbed him and escaped, police say.

A woman being kidnapped in north St. Louis stabbed an ex-con with his own knife during a bloody fight for her life early Tuesday morning, authorities say.

The 21-year-old woman, who was also wounded in the encounter, was walking through the O’Fallon neighborhood about 3 a.m. when Eugene McMurray pulled up in a truck and offered her a ride, according to court records. They had never met. Had she known his past, she might have run.

McMurray, 40, is a career criminal with a record spanning at least two decades. In 1999, he was charged with abducting his girlfriend from her home in the Chicago suburbs. He hid in the bushes and ambushed her when she walked outside, according to news reports at the time. McMurray, who lived in Berkeley back then, threatened to kill her as he drove them toward St. Louis, the Chicago Tribune reported in 1999. She eventually persuaded him to pull over for a bathroom break and escaped.

McMurray served just six months of his three-year prison sentence in Illinois before he was released. He violated probation and served another two months before he was released again in February 2001, an Illinois Department of Corrections spokeswoman said.

In 2014, a Missouri woman took out restraining order against McMurray. The judge found he “represents a credible threat to the safety of the” woman.

McMurray’s latest kidnapping attempt quickly turned brutal, authorities say. After picking up his victim, the six-foot-four, 175 pounder pulled into an alley behind his home at 4222 East Margaretta Avenue and began choking the woman, police said. He allegedly ordered her into the back seat and told her to strip off her pants and underwear.

The woman later told cops McMurray began to take off his own pants and threatened to kill her with a knife. A struggle for the blade followed, and she managed to stab him in the gut. McMurray then stabbed her in the stomach, but she was able to wriggle out of the truck and run to a nearby house for help, police said.

Cops didn’t have to look long for her attacker. Badly wounded in the battle, McMurray struggled to his brother’s home, where someone called for an ambulance. Investigators quickly connected the two 911 calls and obtained a search warrant for McMurray’s truck. They found “a large amount of blood” along with the woman’s cell phone, according to court records.

McMurray was in the hospital, listed in stable condition, when prosecutors filed charges of kidnapping, attempted rape, first-degree assault and three counts of armed criminal action. A judge set bond at $400,000.

The woman was also in stable condition at a hospital on Wednesday, police said.

We welcome feedback and tips. Email the author at or follow on Twitter at @DoyleMurphy.

Support Local Journalism.
Join the Riverfront Times Press Club

Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.

Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.

Join the Riverfront Times Club for as little as $5 a month.