PHOTOS: St. Louis Firefighters Battle a Blaze at Woodworking Studio

by

Firefighters such as Aaron Buchanan, in the white shirt, are never really off duty. - PHOTOS BY DANNY WICENTOWSKI
  • Photos by Danny Wicentowski
  • Firefighters such as Aaron Buchanan, in the white shirt, are never really off duty.

Gray smoke filled the sky above a St. Louis woodworking shop yesterday as flames spread through a lacquering shed holding antique furniture, church furnishings and commissioned pieces awaiting a craftsman's finishing touch.

The blaze started around 11:45 a.m. Thursday when workers preparing to pave the store's parking lot noticed flames and smoke billowing from front of the structure. Daily RFT happened to be at the scene before the firefighters arrived and captured this photo diary of the department at work -- including the removal of many beautiful, but ruined, pieces of antique furniture from the building.

See also: Ozark Blocks Lesbian Fire Captain, Wife from Insurance Benefits

News_03182015_AntiqueFire_byDannyWicentowski_015.jpg

As firefighters raced toward Round Oak Woodworking in Cheltenham, there was one man who stood out from his suited-up comrades. Aaron Buchanan, who was off duty at the time and happened to be in the area, met the firetruck just as it arrived and ran toward the burning structure dressed in a spiffy white shirt and tie.

After making sure his fellow firefighters had the situation under control, Buchanan walked away.

News_03182015_AntiqueFire_byDannyWicentowski_016.jpg

According to St. Louis Fire Department spokesman Garon Mosby, a worker inside the shed had been grinding the bolts off an exhaust hood when one of the bolts, which had become super-heated from the grinding, fell into some kind of flammable liquid. No one was injured by the fire.

Daily RFT was on the scene as some of St. Louis' bravest extinguished the one-alarm fire. Though they saved the structure, virtually all the work inside appeared to be destroyed.

News_03182015_AntiqueFire_byDannyWicentowski_001.jpg
News_03182015_AntiqueFire_byDannyWicentowski_003.jpg

Mosby explained the firefighters wore masks as a precaution due to the possibility that toxic paint and lacquer were giving off fumes.

News_03182015_AntiqueFire_byDannyWicentowski_005.jpg
News_03182015_AntiqueFire_byDannyWicentowski_004.jpg
News_03182015_AntiqueFire_byDannyWicentowski_006.jpg

After the fire was put out, firefighters assisted the store's owners with carrying out damaged antiques and soot-stained pieces of furniture.

News_03182015_AntiqueFire_byDannyWicentowski_011.jpg

Continue for more photos.

News_03182015_AntiqueFire_byDannyWicentowski_007.jpg

One of the first things brought out of the shed was an ornately decorated grandfather clock. One worker said it was more than 100 years old.

News_03182015_AntiqueFire_byDannyWicentowski_008.jpg
ornatechair32015.JPG
News_03182015_AntiqueFire_byDannyWicentowski_012.jpg

A church pew was also carried out.

News_03182015_AntiqueFire_byDannyWicentowski_013.jpg
News_03182015_AntiqueFire_byDannyWicentowski_010.jpg

Follow Danny Wicentowski on Twitter at @D_Towski. E-mail the author at Danny.Wicentowski@RiverfrontTimes.com

comment