The last two months have brought wave after wave of protests and demonstrations to the city of St. Louis. What started as an outpouring of grief and anger over the death of one black teen has grown into a movement known around the world.
But as the protests move from Ferguson to Shaw (to South Grand to political fundraisers to Walmart stores), Daily RFT has noticed a few overlapping consistencies among protesters young and old.
Want to know if you're a *real* Ferguson or Shaw protester? Here are fifteen tell-tale signs:1. You have someone else's phone number written on your arm.
5. You've slept outside on a college campus without being drunk.6. You've made a fake press pass.
Now told that there is an undercover cop on the lot. #ferguson— deray mckesson (@deray) September 30, 2014
10. You carry milk, but you're lactose intolerant.
11. You're big on UStream.
12. You've asked a cop where his or her name badge is.
13. You've tweeted from inside a police van or ambulance.
- Courtesy of Mya Aaten-White
- A selfie Mya Aaten-White took in the ambulance on August 12, 2014.
14. You know how to pronounce Osagyefo Sekou.
15. You've signed up for more email newsletters and text alerts in the last two months than you ever have in your life.
Any signs we missed? Let us know in the comments!
Support Local Journalism.
Join the Riverfront Times Press Club
Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.
Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.
Join the Riverfront Times Club for as little as $5 a month.