No people or humans were hurt when a Kettle Corn snack stand at the Saint Louis Zoo caught fire Monday afternoon.
St. Louis Fire Department firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze, which Gregg Favre, the Command Staff Officer for the fire department, said was fueled by propane.
The zoo was not evacuated, but zoo employees blocked off the area near the south entrance where the refreshment stand is located. Families trying to enter the zoo from the south parking lot had to wait until officials gave the all-clear, but people at the north entrance were able to enter and exit as normal.
The fire severely damaged the stand.
fire at st louis zoo. kettle corn burns. patrons try to figure out how to tell the difference— pooɥpןıɥɔ (@ctrauma) June 9, 2014
There's a fire at the zoo! Operation "Noah's Ark" now in effect. Load two of every animal onto the nearest metro link bus. #stlzoo— Justin (@Jkral87) June 9, 2014
Not any more, Chris Davis. Not anymore.
Are you on fire? @stlzoo— Chris Davis (@daviscp1) June 9, 2014
Join the Riverfront Times Press Club
Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.
Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.
Join the Riverfront Times Club for as little as $5 a month.