St. Louis Police: Man Asks Teenager for Cigarette, Attacks Him, Stabs Him in Neck



Police say that a man in his twenties approached a teenager in south St. Louis over the weekend and asked him for a cigarette.

The seventeen-year-old male responded that it would cost him 35 cents -- a reply which apparently angered the man, who then followed the teen into a store in the Carondolet neighborhood at around 11:30 p.m. Sunday night.

The suspect, police say, proceeded to pick up a sign and throw it at the victim, hitting him straight in the head.

See also: St. Louis Police: Man Attacked Another Man with Microwave Oven

Apparently not satisfied with this attack, he continued fighting him in the parking lot outside the store, eventually pulling out a knife.

Police say he stabbed the teenager in the back of the neck -- and then fled from the scene, which was at the 500 block of Bates Street.

500 block of Bates Street. - VIA GOOGLE MAPS
  • via Google Maps
  • 500 block of Bates Street.

The teenager was taken to the hospital and is expected to survive.

Police say the suspect is a "black male, 20s, 5'7" tall, 215 lbs, dark complexion wearing tank top black shorts and shoes."

For what it's worth, this is not the first time Daily RFT has written about an incredibly violent assault over a cigarette in the city of St. Louis this year. In April, one man allegedly broke a plate over another man's head during a dispute regarding a cigarette. In May, a man beat another man with a mallet after fighting about the whereabouts of a lighter, cops reported.

Here's the full report from metro police on the latest cigarette assault incident:

Incident: Assault 1st Location: 500 block of Bates Date/Time: 9/1/13 @ 23:30 Victim: 17-year old white male Suspect: black male, 20s, 5'7" tall, 215 lbs, dark complexion wearing tank top black shorts and shoes The victim was approached by the suspect on the store parking lot asking for a cigarette. The victim advised the suspect it would cost him 35 cents. The suspect began to argue with the victim and the victim entered the store. The suspect entered the store, picked up a sign and threw it at the victim, striking him in the head. The suspect then left the store with the victim following him. Both victim and suspect began fighting on the lot. The suspect, during the fight, stabbed the victim in back of the neck. The suspect ran from the scene. The victim was transported to area hospital where he is listed as stable. The investigation is ongoing.

Send feedback and tips to the author. Follow Sam Levin on Twitter at @SamTLevin.


Support Local Journalism.
Join the Riverfront Times Press Club

Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.

Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.

Join the Riverfront Times Club for as little as $5 a month.