Here's your weekly St. Louis bestseller list for the week ending September 4, as compiled by the St. Louis Independent Booksellers Alliance and based on sales at Left Bank Books, Main Street Books, Pudd'nhead Books, Subterranean Books and Sue's News.
The top two spaces on this week's list are taken by local authors, albeit local authors with very different focuses. Eric Greitens is that hottie Navy SEAL/do-gooder whose book tells about The Heart and the Fist -- apparently, some guys out there manage to have mastery of both. Greitens doesn't mention "the brain" in his book title, but he has that down too; dude was a Rhodes Scholar and a White House fellow.
Meanwhile, the author holding this week's No. 2 spot, Susan McBride, is focused on clothes, not vital organs. The St. Louis-based McBride, who describes herself as "accidental cougar," brings us Little Black Dress -- because even a cougar needs to get out of leopard prints every once and a while. Good news for McBride: All the local media she's done to promote Little Black Dress has apparently paid off in her spades; her previous book, Cougar Club, clocks in at No. 5 on this week's list.
Full lists after the jump:
1. The Heart and the Fist: The Education of a Humanitarian, the Making of a Navy Seal by Eric Greitens
2. Little Black Dress by Susan McBride
3. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
4. Go the Fuck to Sleep by Adam Mansbach
5. Cougar Club by Susan McBride
6. Heaven Is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back by Todd Burpo
7. Light Bringer by Chris DiGiuseppe and Mike Force
8. A Clash of Kings by George RR Martin
9. Noir at the Bar edited by Jedidiah Ayres and Scott Phillips
10. But for the Grace of God: An Autobiography of an Aviator and Astronaut by William Reid Pogue
1. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
2. The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore
3. If You Take a Mouse to School by Laura Numeroff
4. The Wimpy Kid Do-It-Yourself Book by Jeff Kinney
5. Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
6. Love you Forever by Robert Munsch
7. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
8. Three Pigs, Business School and Wolfe Hash Stew by Matthew S. Field
9. Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes by Mem Fox
10. Nightshade by Andrea Cremer