UPDATE: Two Dead In Senseless High-Speed Crash in St. Louis


Update 3:26 p.m.: Sources tell Daily RFT that the name of the driver is Terrence Harris.

A man with that same name and year of birth faces multiple charges in St. Louis County for a similar offense. Terrence Harris, of the 11900 of El Camara Drive in north St. Louis County, was arrested last October and charged with unlawful use of a weapon, failure to yield to an emergency vehicle, exceeding the speed limit and operating a motor vehicle in a careless and imprudent manner. One of the victims who died in yesterday's accident, Stuart DeJesus, also lived in the 11900 block of El Camara.

Last week Monday (May 23) a St. Louis County judge issued a warrant for Harris stemming from the October arrest and set his bond at $15,000.

Original story follows...

Two people are dead -- three, if you count an unborn child -- following an inexplicable crash yesterday in north St. Louis.

The car was traveling southbound on Goodfellow when it ran this light at Natural Bridge and went airborne before crashing into a tree and catching fire.
  • The car was traveling southbound on Goodfellow when it ran this light at Natural Bridge and went airborne before crashing into a tree and catching fire.
The St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department reports that one of its officers attempted to pull over a Buick Regal around 11 a.m. for a traffic violation. Instead of complying, the driver took off, with the officer terminating the pursuit once the chase reached unsafe speeds.

According to witnesses, the vehicle continued to drive southbound on Goodfellow at a high rate of speed, running a stoplight at Natural Bridge. As the vehicle went through the intersection, it hit a bump in the road, went airborne, began to slide sideways after landing, then hit a tree and caught on fire. The twenty-year-old driver of the vehicle was taken to a hospital and listed in serious condition. 

The woman in the passenger seat -- nineteen-year-old Darshay Brandon -- was pronounced dead at the scene. Brandon was pregnant. Her unborn child died along with her.

Stuart DeJesus, a 31-year-old passenger seated in the back of the vehicle, was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead. The vehicle was inventoried at the scene, and a gun was recovered from inside the vehicle. The gun had not been previously reported stolen.

Police say it is unclear why the driver -- described only as a black male -- was fleeing from police. Police aren't releasing his name until warrants have been issued. A toxicology report and accident reconstruction could take eight to twelve weeks to complete.

Support Local Journalism.
Join the Riverfront Times Press Club

Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.

Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.

Join the Riverfront Times Club for as little as $5 a month.