Will Roundup-Ready alfalfa render natural alfalfa extinct?
Environmental groups and organic farmers alike have slapped the USDA
with a lawsuit
for its greenlighting of Monsanto's Roundup-Ready alfalfa
grass earlier this year.
The plaintiffs -- which include the Center for Food Safety
and the Sierra Club
, along with various alliances of organic farmers -- seem to be operating on the following syllogism:
- In order to resist Roundup, Monsanto's powerful pesticide, the company's alfalfa grass has been genetically modified.
- Alfalfa is notorious for cross-pollinating across long distances, so eventually, all alfalfa will have Monsanto DNA, i.e., it will be genetically modified.
- Alfalfa is a major food source for cattle.
- If cattle eat genetically modified alfalfa, the meat and dairy they produce can no longer be "organic."
- Therefore, organic meat and dairy are in great peril.
Read the full lawsuit below. And, for those seeking more background, back in February, HuffPo did a good job
explaining the viewpoints of the pro-organic folks and the farmers who want to make some $$$). Center for Food Safety et al v. Vilsack et al