Coming off two awards shows this past weekend, Up in the Air
, the movie-with-a-message (loved ones matter more than your career) largely shot here in St. Louis, didn't fare so well.
Director Jason Reitman
went two-for-two in the screenplay category though, collecting awards at the Critics' Choice and Golden Globes for his adaptation of Walter Kirn's 2001 novel by the same name.
Up in the Air director Jason Reitman on set.
At last night's Golden Globes awards
the film received the most nominations, but was overlooked in all
categories except for the screenplay award. It was nominated for:
- Best Motion Picture Drama
- Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama (George Clooney)
- Best Performance by an Actress In A Supporting Role in a Motion Picture (Vera Farmiga, Anna Kendrick)
- Best Director - Motion Picture (Jason Reitman)
- Best Screenplay - Motion Picture (Reitman won this award)
At Friday night's Critics' Choice Awards
, it was nominated for:
- Best Picture
- Best Actor (George Clooney)
- Best Supporting Actress (Vera Farmiga and Anna Kendrick were nominated)
- Best Acting Ensemble
- Best Adapted Screenplay (Reitman won this award)
- Best Directing
- Best Editing
The movie received a lot of Oscar buzz early on
, but if the past weekend's showing is any indicator (the Critics' Choice bills itself as a strong indicator of who will win
at the Oscars), Up in the Air
may come up short at the March 7 Academy Awards
.Related Content: "Grounded: Up in the Air director Jason Reitman has a good sense of where he's from and where he's headed."