In a survey of the nation's most crime-ridden neighborhoods by Dr. Andrew Schiller of the website NeighborhoodScout.com
, St. Louis' very own downtown, specifically the intersection of 14th Street and Martin Luther King Drive, ranked fourteenth.
How nice that this statistic appears just in time for the All-Star Game!
But take heart, St. Louisans: Downtown is not the most dangerous neighborhood in the state of Missouri or even within a 100-mile radius. Kansas City cracked the list twice, at numbers 6 and 8, while the Pioneer Park neighborhood of Springfield, Illinois, just edged us out for the number 13 spot.
Schiller based his rankings on data from the FBI and 17,000 local law enforcement agencies, collected between 2005 and 2007. A neighborhood's "danger" ranking is how likely a person is to be a victim of a violent crime (i.e., murder, rape, robbery or assault). Someone at 14th and MLK has a 1 in 8 chance of becoming a crime victim within a year.
Schiller predicts that there will be 292 crimes in the neighborhood this year, with a rate of 129.29 per 1,000.
The most dangerous neighborhood in America is Over the Rhine in Cincinnati.
Full list of rankings after the jump:
1) Cincinnati, Central Parkway/Liberty Street
2) Chicago, State Street/Garfield Boulevard
3) Miami, 7th Avenue/North River Drive
4) Jacksonville, Beaver Street/Broad Street
5) Baltimore, North Avenue./Belair Road
6) Kansas City, Bales Avenue/30th Street
7) Memphis, Warford Street/Mt. Olive Road
8) Kansas City, Forest Avenue/41st Street
9) Dallas, Route 352/Scyene Road
10) Richmond, Virginia, Church Hill
11) Memphis, Bellevue Boulevard/Lamar Avenue
12) Dallas, 2nd Avenue/Hatcher Street
13) Springfield, Illinois, Cook Street/11th Street
14) St. Louis,
14th Street/Dr. Martin Luther King Drive
15) Little Rock, Arkansas,
Roosevelt Road/Bond Street
16) Philadelphia, Broad Street/Dauphin Street
17) Tampa, Amelia Avenue/Tampa Street
18) New York,
St. Nicholas Avenue/125th Street
19) Chicago, 66th Street/Yale Avenue
20) Baltimore, Orleans Street/Front Street
21) Cleveland, Cedar Avenue/55th Street
East-West Expressway./Orange Blossom Trail
23) Detroit, Mt. Elliott Street/Palmer Avenue
24) Chicago, Wallace Street/58th Street
25) Chicago, Winchester Avenue/60th Street