Mizzou Frat Goes Up In Smoke

by

comment
Update: It appears that it was actually a hookah that started the fire, which would help explain the charcoal claim. The University of Missouri's student newspaper has the scoop.

This just in from the AP via the Kansas City Star:

COLUMBIA | Fire investigators are blaming an unattended bong for a fire at the Sigma Chi fraternity at the University of Missouri-Columbia. No one was hurt. But Sunday night's fire occurred on the same floor where a student died in a 1999 blaze.

Battalion Fire Chief Steve Sapp says police confiscated the bong and took samples to determine whether it was used for drugs. Fraternity president Daniel Patterson says a small piece of charcoal left on a windowsill, not a bong, started the fire.

Sigma Chi is the same frat that Brad Pitt joined when he was an undergrad at Mizzou. Maybe these guys were re-enacting their famous alum's scene (below) from True Romance when things went horribly wrong.

Support Local Journalism.
Join the Riverfront Times Press Club

Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.

Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.

Join the Riverfront Times Club for as little as $5 a month.