Sure there are dozens of bands playing today in the Delmar Loop at the RFT's annual Music Showcase. But there are other reasons to go to an all-day music fest too. Reasons that don't have to do with seeing great new bands and well-established locals play for cheap.
Here are a few reasons -– at least some of these should appeal to you, the on-again, off-again concert goer.
1. You can proudly wear that old band T-shirt your wife normally won't let you take out of the closet.
1A. The same goes for those tight rocker jeans.
2. Like Mardi Gras, St. Patrick's Day and Fridays for some people, you can drink at noon and not feel like like that alcoholic you were in your 20s.
3. You may see an errant skateboard or two fly out onto Delmar during the skateboarding demo near Vintage Vinyl.
4. You can tell the squares you work with about the bitchin' show you went to over the weekend, while they prattle on about the stainless steel blender they bought at Crate & Barrel.
5. If you need a few coasters for your den, there are dozens of potential ones in the CD-R demos that will be handed out by bands.
6. With the recession kicking in and those economic stimulus checks still in the mail, paying $5 for a day's worth of bands is a steal. And a cheap date.
7. It's arguably the one place in St. Louis where you can get caught in a mosh and an ass-shakin' dance party within the same city block.
8. Rekindle your love of playing the air guitar while watching bands.
9. Take another stab and “hip hop dancing” during one of the several hip hop shows going on during the Showcase.
10. Talk about your record collection with like-minded vinyl hounds. That record collection that frankly, no one else wants to hear about anymore.
11. Work on your amateur concert photography.
12. Meet up with old friends. Make a few new ones. At least you have one thing in common.
13. It's an excuse to wake up and not take a shower and fit right in.