Every week, Mayor Slay's website runs a poll, taking the pulse of St. Louisans on a wide range of topics, such as genetically modified foods, the actions of Congress, and what it takes to deliver a good political speech. The raw data gathered is synthesized and used to custom-build the city of St. Louis to its citizens' liking (that is what it is for, right Slay?).
This week's poll is about Justin Bieber, for some reason.
In a poll entitled "Leave it to Bieber," respondents are asked their opinion on a number of popular artists. The current totals are revealing:
At present, the Biebs is making a paltry showing of a mere 19%, compared to 74% by Adele, 58% by Beyonce and 71% by Erin Bode. I'd be worried about the little guy's self-esteem, but at least he is not Chris Brown:
Coming in at a mere 4% "favorable" rating -- well done, St. Louis. Good to know that we as a city would prefer not to consort with misogynistic abusive shitheads.
Turning back to the positive, though, some country music stars enjoy a fair amount of St. Louis love:
Also, I had no idea St. Louis was such a Morissey-loving town. He currently holds the second most favorable rating, at a hefty 89%:
Even Morissey cannot unseat St. Louis' apparent favorite, working-class troubadour Bruce Springsteen, the Boss himself:
That sizable 91% puts Springsteen at the top of the list. The love for country and rock artists is also consistent with further findings of this poll, which also asked respondents what their favorite genres are:
Combined, country and rock have more than half of the votes. Rap, oddly enough, comes in on the list with only 1%. Now, I know for a fact that St. Louis likes rap -- and a lot. I have stacks of CD-r demos in my office to prove it.
Continue to page two for more.
Also notable is the results of this question, which asked, "Where is the heart of St. Louis' music scene?":
Soulard, Midtown and the Loop are listed in the top three slots. "Somewhere else" comes in at number four, above Cherokee Street, which got a mere 3% of votes. If anybody knows where exactly "Somewhere else" is, please let us know so we can check it out. Sounds pretty cool.
So, in conclusion, here is what we have learned about our city:
1. We don't really care about Justin Bieber (I'm guessing not many thirteen-year-old girls responded to this poll, because I know from personal experience that they definitely like Justin Bieber. Like, a lot.
2. We reeaaally don't like Chris Brown (this is a good thing -- wear it as a badge of pride).
3. Country plays well here -- we like Brad Paisley and Tim McGraw just fine. We like rock a lot as well.
4. We like Morrissey a whole bunch,l but not quite as much as Bruce Springsteen.
5. St. Louis completely detests rap music, despite the fact we have tons of rap artists in town, and those artists have tons of people that attend their shows. (This one remains a head-scratcher.)
6. "Somewhere else" is a good place in St. Louis to check out music. Again, if anyone has info as to its exact location, please let us know.
See Also: - Crotching Whiskey at the Justin Bieber Concert and Getting Thrown Out: A Review - How Violent Idiot Chris Brown Continues to Play the Victim: A Timeline - Tim McGraw Gets Sober, Kills Only Chance of Revitalizing Country Music - Brad Paisley's "Accidental Racist": Why This Song Sucks - To The Asshole Who Sat Behind Me At the Springsteen Show