Photo by George Martinez
There's something so liberating about going to an event like Ultra Music Festival. Certainly, each year, some looks are more "in" and some are more "out," but there is a lax unity, an agreement, that you can get away with wearing whatever you want. You don't have to fake looking like Alexa Chung, you can kandi or bro, or you can just you.
Even so, there are things that uniformly trended this year at Ultra. And we took note of the top seven fashion statements of 2013.
Photo by Liz Tracy
7. Like Diamonds on Your Face People's mugs are shimmering with crystals this year in downtown Miami. Face jewels add the perfect glamorous element to an ensemble, without the pressure of losing something pricey in a dusty field filled with ravers. Unlike wearing your grandmother's pearls, you can sweat these off, and your mom won't hate you forever.
Photo by Liz Tracy
6. Put Down the Glitter, Pick up the Leopard We saw quite a few ladies who took the time to apply some seriously intricate makeup designs. While glitter (AKA the herpes of school supplies) wasn't big this year, we saw some delicately patterned lips and eyes. One lady in leopard eyes told us how to create this look: "You take any kind of eye shadow. You wet the brush, and you paint it on. Then you take a liquid eyeliner and you draw a whole bunch of parentheses around your eyes. And it looks like leopard print." Presumably, the same thing goes for the lips. We love it.
5. Kapowski to the Max Yes, Kelly Kapowski, the Saved by the Bell hottie, was honored on more than one person's chest. We kind of wanted to know where they got these T-shirts. The answer: Urban Outfitters. Duh.
Photo by Liz Tracy
4. U.S. of Bass It seemed everyone was wearing something red and blue with white stars. The war is over, and now everyone's repping the U.S. of A? Getting political on this fashion issue is going too deep. There's a good chance people wore America's colors for the same reason everyone else was draped in the flags of their own nations -- as a conversation starter.
3. Eye Heart You Heart-shaped glasses have replaced the ironic, lensless hipster frames, and thank the Lord. These two ladies came all the way from Hawaii looking like proper flower children. But they're definitely 2013 entrepreneurs, slinging homemade headbands for a pretty penny. They've got the look, and a big part of it is the shades.
2. Molly on My Mind Two other t-shirt trends were sexist tees and ones that celebrated the consumption of MDMA. "Show Me Your Tits," "Popped a Molly, I'm Sweating," and "Peace, Love, Molly" were some gems we spotted. These are shirts that need to be purchased and left at the rave. Not Easter-appropriate.
1. Straight-Up Bras Yeah, we've seen bras before at Ultra. It's not like there's a lot of shame in downtown Miami. But seriously, this year, girls were just wearing bras. Like, nothing else except bottoms. And we're taking lacy, flesh-colored, Victoria's Secret bras, not bras that look like bikini tops.
Wearing straight-up bras is straight-up weird.
See also: -Ten Bands You Never Would Have Thought Used to Be Good -The Ten Biggest Concert Buzzkills: An Illustrated Guide -The 15 Most Ridiculous Band Promo Photos Ever -The Ten Worst Music Tattoos Ever
Support Local Journalism.
Join the Riverfront Times Press Club
Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.
Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.
Join the Riverfront Times Club for as little as $5 a month.