Tomorrow would be Jim Henson's 75th birthday. We baked him this:
And then we watched this, and we fucking cried like little crybabies who left their teddy bears at the supermarket and then had an "acc-i-denn" in the carseat. Watch this you soulless automatons! If 5:14-6:47 and the last three minutes don't make your eyes take a leak, you might wanna GPS your location--chances are you're already sunning yourself on the diamond shores of Elysium with Jim.
In honor of Jim's birthday, we thought it was as good an excuse as any to run down a few of our favorite musical moments from our childhood heroes. Keep the dream alive and feel free to add your favorites in the comments.
10. The Ballad of Beaker (2010) Poor Beaky. Homie can't catch a break. Also, zeitgeisty.
9. Julie Andrews, "The Lonely Goatherd" (1977-78) The classic Sound of Music tune, rendered thirteen years after the movie. Dame Andrews is still a spring chicken at 42 in this clip, and that beezy doesn't look a day over 30.
8. Elton John (Season 2, 1977-8) "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road." Elton in his heyday.
7. Swedish Chef, Beaker and Animal sing the Irish classic "Danny Boy" (UK 1980) Known for their outstanding elocution, these three take on the heartbreaking folk song. Play this at my funeral.
6. "Put Down the Duckie" (1988) The Mets, the DeVito, and Wynton Marsalis, oh my! An important lesson that all '80s babies should know: you cannot play the sax with a fistful of yellow polyvinyl chloride. Ten points and an imaginary cookie if you can name every star in this video. 5. Johnny Cash (1980) Johnny Cash looking dashing and damn near radiant with his spiffy periwinkle scarf, doin' the old harmonica switcheroo and a priceless "Jackson" duet with Miss Piggy.
4. "Movin' Right Along" (1979) Fozzie Bear and Kermy break it down on a wild, spliff-fueled sojourn across the United States, on the long hard road to California, shooting at rattlesnakes with pistols. Not really. From the much-beloved Muppet Movie.
3. Animal vs. Buddy Rich (1980) 64 year old Buddy Rich gives Animal the drum battle of his life.
2. The Best Song in the Best Movie Possibly Ever: "It Feels Like Christmas" from A Muppet Christmas Carol (1992) Feel the Grinchy cockles of your heart begin to soften as they turn into those peppermint sticks that melt in your mouth.
1. Mahna Mahna, (1969 original version) The video that spawned one of the earliest memes ever.
Honorable Mentions: The Muppets ride bikes in "Couldn't We Ride." It's the first time anyone sees Kermit's legs, and this ain't no computer generated chicanery, just pure magic.
Bohemian Rhapsody Viral gold from 2009.