Best Buy has a certain number of CDs it sells for preposterously cheap. Let's be clear: This isn't a bargain bin situation, where they clearly just upend the refuse in a cardboard dumpster and let people dive in. This is actual stock, kept on shelves, that in most cases sold (poorly, obviously) for ten times the current price in the last couple months. Best Buy keeps track of what's been gouged online. Can you almost hear the whimper of bad ideas and broken dreams coming through your computer speakers as you scroll through those listings?
5. Heroes Original TV Soundtrack by Various Artists Remember when this show seemed like it was headed somewhere? Let's run through a few of the artists that appear on this thing: Jesus & Mary Chain, Wilco, the Chemical Brothers, the New Pornographers, Nada Surf, Panic! At The Disco (with exclamation point and full membership, it's worth noting), Brighton Port Authority with Iggy Pop, Death Cab for Cutie, Bob Dylan and David Bowie (one guess which song). Clearly, they had to fire all the writers to pay for soundtrack rights, and now, everyone gets one quarter of one cent for each copy sold!
4. Songs From The Underground by Linkin Park This thing actually did alright when it came out, reaching as high as 53 on the Billboard 200. And yet: there are few things less essential, even for a rap-rock fan, than demos and live cuts by Linkin Park.
3. Perfect Disguise: Introducing the Contrast by the Contrast Nothing against the Contrast -- we actually like a bunch of these songs. Good thing they've got massive distribution so that their four-year-old album can wind up next to Linkin Park's turds in the FIRE SALE section of Best Buy's nationwide.
2. Six Hits EP by Weezer This is part of Best Buy's exclusive six song series, which also features the Cars, Foo Fighters, Counting Crows, Stone Temple Pilots, etc. The sad thing here is really which six songs you get: "Buddy Holly," "Say It Ain't So," "Hash Pipe," "Island In The Sun," "Beverly Hills" and "Perfect Situation." Down arrow.
1. Chinese Democracy by Guns N' Roses IT'S FINALLY HERE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN CLAMORING FOR DECADES HOLY SHIT LOOK AT THE LINE OF HUNGRY FANS.... oh wait. never mind.