Basement Fire Doesn't Faze Mathew's Kitchen

by

comment
IAN FROEB
  • Ian Froeb
A follow-up to last Friday's story about a small fire at the new south-city restaurant Mathew's Kitchen (5625 Hampton Avenue; 314-351-1700).

Owner Mathew Unger says the incident was blown "a little bit out of proportion." As reported, the fire did occur in a dryer. Unger says the dryer is located in the basement of the building. Smoke was the main issue once the fire had been contained.

"It could have been a lot worse," says Unger, noting that the fire happened when the restaurant was closed and unoccupied.

Mathew's Kitchen opened for dinner as usual that night. For more on the new restaurant, see our interview with Unger.

Support Local Journalism.
Join the Riverfront Times Press Club

Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.

Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.

Join the Riverfront Times Club for as little as $5 a month.