"Killer" Curry Contest Sends Two to Hospital


The eating-challenge carnage continues. Last month, we heard of a Ukrainian man who won a dumpling-eating contest and then immediately dropped dead. Now from Scotland comes news that a curry-eating contest sent two contestants to the hospital.

Kismot, an Indian and Bangladeshi restaurant in Edinburgh, serves the "Kismot Killer," a curry made, its website claims, from "the world's hottest chillies according to the Guinness Book of Records."

This past weekend, the restaurant hosted an eating competition featuring its fearsome "Kismot Killer," and two contestants were in such pain that they had to be taken by ambulance to the hospital.

An American contestant, who finished in second place, compared the pain to "being chainsawed in the stomach with hot sauce on the chainsaw."
"I was in so much pain I wasn't aware of what was going on around me and when I got to hospital they gave me medicine for the indigestion.

"I don't think the restaurant should do it any more as I think there are a lot less painful ways to raise money for charity."
Yes, it's the restaurant's fault that you willingly entered a contest featuring the world's (reputed) hottest chiles and then felt ill. You even signed a disclaimer, yet, still, the restaurant is wrong.

Here are a couple videos of people trying the "Kismot Killer."

This guy succeeds in finishing the curry, even:

(h/t: Gawker)


Support Local Journalism.
Join the Riverfront Times Press Club

Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.

Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.

Join the Riverfront Times Club for as little as $5 a month.