The Worst Restaurant Story You'll Read Today, Possibly All Year [Updated]

by

comment

Everyone has a favorite "terrible restaurant experience" story to share. Thanks to social media, there are more forums in which to share that story than ever before.

However, the next time that you're preparing to sharpen your knives and post about crappy food or slow service on Yelp, Twitter or wherever, remember this story about a truly horrific restaurant accident from today's St. Petersburg Times. It should help keep things in perspective:

A family preparing to enjoy a dessert of bananas Foster was burned, one of them severely, when the flaming dish splashed on them Saturday night at a restaurant.

Two of them were rushed by helicopter to the hospital. The most badly wounded, a 25-year-old woman, suffered first- and second-degree burns when her dress caught fire.
(h/t: Eater)

Update: (Thursday, June 16, 7:53 a.m.) The St. Petersburg Times has more information about the incident in its latest report. It doesn't look good for the restaurant involved. According to the article, restaurant employees "cleaned up all evidence of the accident before fire investigators arrived."

Also, witnesses tell the paper that the waiter poured 151-proof rum directly from the bottle into the dish, an absolute no-no.

Support Local Journalism.
Join the Riverfront Times Press Club

Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.

Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.

Join the Riverfront Times Club for as little as $5 a month.