Teams took swabs from high chairs in 30 different restaurants and found that on average the number of bacteria on a high chair - including some which can lead to serious illness - was 147 per square centimetre.Which of course raises the question: If you left a McDonald's Happy Meal on a restaurant high chair for six months, how badly would the Happy Meal decompose?
By comparison the average public toilet seat has just eight per square centimetre. The bacteria found included E-coli. Staph aureus and enterococcus faecalis which can cause upset stomachs - a serious illness for young children.
Support Local Journalism.
Join the Riverfront Times Press Club
Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.
Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.
Join the Riverfront Times Club for as little as $5 a month.