Bread and butter go together like chips and salsa. But some local restaurants send out better snacks for free. Unlike the white-tablecloth amuse-bouche, the items below are constants: You get 'em every time you go.
We mention them because they are good and they are gratis, ya'll. Enjoy this quick list with our compliments. And feel free to offer others you know of in the Comments thread -- because the best things in life are freebies.
1. Mini chocolate chip cookies put dessert first at Baileys' Chocolate Bar in Lafayette Square (1915 Park Avenue; 314-241-8100).
2. Pasta crunchers at Jimmy's Café on the Park in Clayton are flash-fried and sport seventeen spices (706 DeMun Avenue, Clayton; 314-725-8585)!
3. Bread knots swiped with garlic olive oil at south city's Onesto Pizza and Trattoria have Parmesan and parsley on top (5401 Finkman Street; 314-802-8883).
4. Blue cheese soufflé has become a classic at The Crossing in Clayton (7823 Forsyth Boulevard, Clayton; 314-721-7375).
5. Plantain chips with green sauce (behold cilantro in all its glory) at downtown's Mango Peruvian Cuisine (1101 Lucas Avenue; 314-621-9993).