Wapango pastry chef Mary Harden makes her cinnamon rolls.
In my profile
of Mary Harden, pastry chef at Wapango
, she made cinnamon rolls with caramel sauce. After the jump, the recipe for the rolls.
Makes 1½ dozen rolls
3 cups milk
7½ teaspoons yeast
6 tbsp sugar
9 tbsp oil
9 cups flour
6 tsp kosher salt
Light brown sugar
1. Heat milk, being careful not to simmer.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine milk with remaining ingredients. Using a dough hook, mix until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and is smooth. If dough is too sticky, gradually add a small amount of flour. If dough is dry, add a small amount of water. Let rest.
3. On a non-stick surface, roll dough to 1-inch thickness. Slather with too much butter, then sprinkle with a thin layer of brown sugar, sprinkled with cinnamon. Roll tightly.
4. Grease a baking sheet. Cut rolls into 2-inch-thick rounds. Nestle tightly on the pan to keep them soft.
5. Cover, let rest 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
6. Bake 12-15 minutes or until rolls are baked through. Top with icing or caramel sauce
Variation: add fresh orange zest to the filling.Robin Wheeler writes the blog Poppy Mom. She is a regular contributor to Gut Check, including the columns The Dive Bomber and Throwback of the House.