The Morning Brew: Wednesday, 12/12

by

comment

www.amberjack.com
  • www.amberjack.com

www.amberjack.com

Diners at two St. Louis restaurants -- Blue Water Grill and Frazer's Restaurant and Lounge -- have fallen ill after eating amberjack. The disease is likely ciguatera. Both restaurants purchased the fish from Bob's Seafood, which purchased it from a Louisiana facility. (Post-Dispatch)

For more on ciguatera, click here. The basics, from the FDA:

Ciguatera is a form of human poisoning caused by the consumption of subtropical and tropical marine finfish which have accumulated naturally occurring toxins through their diet. The toxins are known to originate from several dinoflagellate (algae) species that are common to ciguatera endemic regions in the lower latitudes.

A movement to ensure healthy, organic food at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. (BBC News)

-Ian Froeb

Support Local Journalism.
Join the Riverfront Times Press Club

Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.

Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.

Join the Riverfront Times Club for as little as $5 a month.