Vista Ramen (2609 Cherokee Street; 314-797-8520), the acclaimed Cherokee Street hot spot, will be adding Sunday brunch service, beginning on March 19th.
"There's always a demand for brunch, and people want options," says executive chef Chris Bork. "There's nothing wrong with bacon and toast. We just feel like we can fill a gap by being different."
Indeed, Vista's brunch menu strays far from the traditional eggs Benedict and mimosa template. With items like chawanmushi,
a Japanese custard with shrimp and pickled mushrooms, and shiro dashi
grits with poached eggs and bacon, brunch service will mirror the Asian-inflected dinner offerings that put the restaurant on the map.
Still, Bork insists that the menu is meant to be different yet familiar, with riffs on classic daytime fare that echo the playfulness in the dinner offerings. He points to the okonomiyaki, which is a savory Japanese pancake beloved by savvy West Coast diners.
is actually a play on a corned beef and sauerkraut sandwich, basically a Reuben," he explains. "We've also been playing around with putting a cheeseburger on the menu for a while now, so we're going to serve one at brunch, but it will be just a little bit different than a standard cheeseburger."
The prices are quite reasonable: Nothing is more than $16, with quite a few dishes for $10 or less.
Bork says that he and his partners at Vista, Jeremy and Casey Miller, were looking for a way to capitalize on the foot traffic that travels down Cherokee during the day, as well as responding to the demand from customers that they add daytime offerings. "A lot of people are curious to know what the space looks like during the day," says Bork. "We've done a few special events on Sunday evenings, and people will walk in when we are there during the day and ask if we are serving any food. We've had to tell them no."
For now, brunch will be served on Sundays only, from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m., though Bork does not rule out Saturday hours in the future. For a peek at the menu, look below.
- Vista Pork - Egg - Ginger - Scallion - Nori - Sesame $13
- Veggie Seasonal Vegetable - Egg - Mushroom - Scallion - Coconut Schmaltz $11 Pozole Chicken - Hominy - Egg - Chili Paste - Scallion - Cilantro $14
- Beef Short Rib - Egg - Pumpkin - Kimchi - Pepitos $16
- Cheeseburger with Hitachino Nest white ale American cheese, fish sauce pickles, shredded ice berg, dijonnaise. Served with ketchup and fries. $15
- Okonomoyaki with corned beef, white kimchi, sunny egg, thousand island, yakitori glaze. $9
- Chawanmushi with shrimp, pickled mushroom, peas, crispy shallots, lemongrass. $9
- Matcha pancakes, condensed milk, lychee, mint, peanut. $8
- Grits with shiro dashi, poached eggs, bacon, furikake, chilli oil. $12
- White sweet potato biscuits, dandan gravy, sunny eggs, scallion. $10
- Coconut milk yogurt, curry granola, banana, dates. $7
We are always hungry for tips and feedback. Email the author at email@example.com.
- Glazed brioche doughnut $2
- Miso financiers 3 for $2